A mistake over a decimal point caused the death of a baby who was given 10 times the recommended amount of heart medication

“The baby, who was born with a congenital heart defect, was taken to Leicester’s Glenfield Hospital less than two weeks after his birth in March 2002 after experiencing breathing problems.

He died a few days later after being given the drug Digoxin, which slows the rate of heartbeat.

One of the doses was calculated at 220 micrograms when the correct amount should have been 22 micrograms.”

Leave a Comment

Most Popular

✓ Join 150,000+ subscribers
✓ Get KevinMD's most popular stories